December can be a wonderful time of the year as we prepare to celebrate the holidays with friends and family. Unfortunately, it can also be an incredibly stressful time when you feel overwhelmed with everything you have to accomplish. With so much to do, it can be easy to forget to take care of yourself.
If you’re feeling stressed and just low in general, take a moment a few times a day to focus on your health and wellness—both physical and mental. The following tips can help you manage your stress during this busy time of year and make sure you make the most of the holiday season:
- Spend 5 minutes outside.
- Clean up one area of clutter.
- GET HYGGE WITH IT! Hygge is the Danish art of contentment, and it’s all about warmth, comfort, and togetherness.
- Get back to basics and simplify. Spending all day cleaning up from the holiday feast? Use paper plates instead!
- Track your water intake.
- Stop and be in the moment. Notice the wondrous sights, sounds, and smells around!
- PRACTICE DEEP BREATHING. Do this when you start your day or any time you find yourself stressed.
- COLOR YOUR PLATE. Get plenty of nutrients by having as many colors of the rainbow as possible on your plate. (No, Skittles don’t count!)
- Check in with a friend or loved one.
- Ask for help! Remember your ultimate goal for the holiday and get support and assistance from those around you.